Thursday 20 October 2016

What Bad Decisions Do to Us


To the one who says "we'll figure it out later" to my what if, thank you.

I've been thinking lately about some bad decisions did to me, mostly because I just made and probably will continue to make one. I guess we all do.. don't we? We are all familiar with the fixated life phase before, that everyone called schools. The systematic flow curriculum design in a simulated classrooms where pretty much everyone is going through the same process. We miss that, I know I do. I mean, how awesome it was to know that everyone will go to the same schedule and curriculum with you. And now, in every day of tomorrow, you are the sole decision maker of your life - either you decide to take a day off or go to work, go to the gym after or to eat all day, to post it or not in social media, it is really up to you. Whether you want to build your carrier in the office, be an entrepreneur, be a traveller - you name it! And with this kind of freedom, there goes decisions you need to make and pretty much we'd make mistakes by taking a bad one, or two, or three, or four - oh I can keep of going.

A plant grows from solidified lava - a photo by Alice Christophe

But then again, think. From all of those bad decisions we have taken before, how worst are they? Not so much, because we always come through, right?

In my time, I remembered how I thought some of the wrong moves I've took will be the one that actually will knock me down. And sometimes, it is even the simplest one. Like just sending a wrong email where I can say to myself, "Well here it is, end of my career, boom" or when it's pouring rain while we are going down from a summit - "Here goes my life". Thinking back, we (FINE, I) often over exaggerate things and probably this is what we are doing now (if you are in the middle of taking a decision) or at least we'll do again in the future.

I've known better to let go that kind of thinking and replace it with an actual action to prepare for the upcoming situations, and not to be too hard on ourselves by hoping everything is going to be a hundred anymore. It is no longer a test. In case you haven't realize (because sometimes I don't), we are not in the class anymore. There is no one calculating your score of your life. There is no rank. It's just life, whatever you want it to be. Do how you want it to be done and worry less because everyone's already got something on their plate anyway rather to watch what you're doing.

So, bad decisions, what they do to us. It's as the same as what the good one does to us. It gives us an experience, whether it will knock you down or you'd be using it as your future reference to bounce back, it's really your decision. The same thing you'd be decide what breakfast you'll be eating tomorrow morning, and if it tastes bad - move on, find a solution, and try your best not to eat it again.  Hope this writing is going to be useful to us. (Arif Utomo)

2 comments: